Re: AO-40 Final Orbit

on 11/20/00 5:20 PM, John Mock at kd6pag@qsl.net wrote:

>> There are a few sets available.  I downloaded and massaged an old set from
>> the AMSAT web site (look under the Phase 3D section "What will the orbit
>> look like"?).  Basically, in the south, we will see the perigee passes, but
>> there will be one pass every 2 days where we will see the bird from just
>> before perigee to just after apogee, so southern hemisphere operations will
>> be interesting.
>
> Does that mean the northern hemisphere won't get any perigee passes, so those
> with minimal equipment able to work AO-10 at perigee will have to upgrade to
> work AO-40??

That's correct.  Grab a small ball.  This is equivalent to the earth.  Now
trace an ellipse around that ball at a 65 degree angle relative to
horizontal and the narrow part of the ellipse is at that 65 degree angle.
As you can see, at perigee, the orbit of the satellite will always be in the
southern hemisphere.  But don't worry, it still may be high enough in
altitude that the coverage circle still includes *some* of the northern
hemisphere.

AO-10 has perigee passes that those of us way far north can hear because
AO-10 actually is inclined at a slightly NEGATIVE angle right now.  AO-10
never reached its final orbital inclination because its motor was damaged
during separation from its booster.  And since it has no more fuel or
possibility of being controlled, I think that the inclination angle is
oscillating around the zero degree angle if I understand it correct.  It
will slowly drift negative for a while, then reverse itself and drift back
positive and back and forth.

73,

Jon
NA9D