Re: AO-40 high-speed telemetry?

----- Original Message -----
From: Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL <vlfiscus@mcn.net>
To: Paul Williamson <kb5mu@AMSAT.Org>
Cc: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO-40 high-speed telemetry?

> At 11:37 AM 11/20/00 -0800, Paul Williamson wrote:
> >At 11:41 AM 11/20/2000 -0700, Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:
> >>It's also kind of strange that the prelaunch keps are off now. Phase 3
> >>keps are normally good for weeks.
> >
> >Actually, what's strange is that the prelaunch keps were so good. The
> >prelaunch keps are based on the assumption that every parameter of the
> >booster performs at 100.000% exactly nominal. That never happens! This
> >launch was incredibly accurate, a tribute to Arianespace's calibration.
>
> I'm not arguing that. I'm saying look how good the keps were and now less
> than a week after the launch the keps are a bit off. It's almost like ATOS
> might be going but the telemetry says it's not.

Vince -

I'm doing the best I can to provide everybody with the best quality orbital
data.  Please be patient as we should have a "stable" set of Keplerian
elements shortly.

The "bad news," however, is shortly after we achieve a good orbit
determination,  the command stations will begin the arcjet thruster firings.
This will result in small, but noticeable orbital changes for each firing.
What that means is that I will be monitoring things for the next nine months
to keep the Keps up-to-date.  Those wishing accurate Keps will need to check
for and download the latest available data somewhat frequently.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but what AMSAT is attempting with
AO-40 is both challenging and ambitious.  But that's what makes it exciting
and will ultimately make it more satisfying.  After all, this *is* "Rocket
Science."

73, Ken N2WWD