Re: Re: AO-40 Beacon Reason?

on 11/20/00 12:08 PM, Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE at wb5rue@arrl.net wrote:

> Just curious...I probably missed this somewhere...but when is AO-40 going
> to be opened to regular use?

This is a question that has been asked many times.  FYI, the best amount of
info is in the AMSAT journal.  If you don't get it - join AMSAT!

OK, according to the article a couple of months ago, the satellite will be
available for LIMITED use when they start firing the arcjet.  I'd expect
that to be in a month or so (just a guess).  Then it will take 9 months to
do all the orbital maneuvers.  After that, it will be open for full use.

Now, who knows what's going on right now.  The 70cm beacon has not been
confirmed to be heard and the control team is mum on why.  If there is a bug
of some sort, it may be a while longer before that gets sorted out and they
may wait to do the arcjet burns until they get all the kinks worked out.

73,

Jon
NA9D

> Thanks