Satellite Control

I watched James Bond, Goldeneye, the other night and wondered why it was
necessary to have a 30 metre dish to control a satellite.

If a spy agency wanted to control their satellites arn't they better off
having some smaller antennas that don't actually kill people when they move
their direction element, and you can't slide down?

It looked to me more like they were using a radiotelescope than a satellite
control station.