Re: AO-40 high-speed telemetry?

 "John P. Toscano" writes:

> While crusing the AMSAT-UK web site today

Nice to know someone looks at it :))

> No one has
> yet (to my knowledge) heard the 70cm beacon or received 9600 bps
> FSK data from AO-40.
snip
> but I can't help wondering if there is actually
> a malfunction that hasn't been announced.

My thoughts exactly. The "in-flight entertainment" was something that 'RUH
was intensely interested in. Must be a good reason that the 9k6 isn't
coming down.

BTW: I saw several comments from folks about slight instabilities in the
frequency. If anyone notices these around perigee then its probably that
the s/c is magnetorquing - when AO-13 was magnetorquing the beacon often
burped on each torque firing. (Guess: torquing needs a high-current pulse
so buss voltage drops on each pulse.)

> Anyway, "the whole world is watching", so any official tidbits of info
> that the flight team can drop our way in between all their other busy
> activities would be greatly appreciated!

Amen

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org