Re: NOVA fixed; AO-40 QSB

OOPS!  My fingers keep typing AO-10 when I mean AO-40!  The QSB I'm
observing is on the NEW satellite.

AO-40 fade observations:
1855 end of fade.
1913 fade to noise; reimerges from fade at 1918.
1936/1938 fades into noise; reimerges at 1942.
This appears to be a regular 23-24 minute period, and thus I would guess
slow satellite rotation.

>73 Eric eac@shore.net WB1HBU writes:
The A block on the beacon says Magnetorquing is in progress.
ALON/ALAT is currently 258/-54 and the goal is 270/0.<

So maybe this is confirmation?
Fade cycle continues, but my attention was required elsewhere so I made no
more measurements.  Beacon still very strong on peaks, running S1/S2.  My
current sat angles az=135.2, el= 14.9, rng=38,224 km.

For the record: receiving with FT-847 [internal preamp on], 50 foot of
9913, ARX-270 dual band vertical.

I'll be away from the computer untill after 0600 UTC/ Nov. 19.  Stuff to do
:-)

I wrote:
>I have been monitoring AO-10

"Meant AO-40"

since 1730 UTC [today] and have noticed an
>interesting slow fade phenomena.  the signals appear to go from S2 to noise
>over a several minute period.  I'm guessing since I'm using a vertical
>antenna that one of the following is happening:
>1.  I'm seeing a slow faraday signal polarity rotation. {my first guess}
>2.  It's an artifact of my antenna pattern [omni directional with lots of
>vertical gain].  Multipath?  {This explanation seems bit of a stretch}
>3.  Spacecraft oreintation is slowly rotating. {squint}
>4.  My receiver gain is slowly varying by 40 dB over a 10-15 min. period
>{Nah}.  [S2 represents >40 dB SNR on my system]
>
>According to NOVA: at 1855 UTC az=120.5, el=8.0, range 44,277km, and
>signals are beginning to fade.  Anyone else see this QSB?  It has peaked at
>1908 UTC.

73, Ed