RE: RE:DSP-2232 and 400 baud TLM

Hi, All!

This is just a note to all with DSP-2232's to say that Alan Biddle's notes
on how to use the DSP-2232 to copy the P3D telemetry are right on the money.
Thanks Alan!!!

I was not able to get the P3T program to work until I followed his steps.
When I followed them, it worked perfectly.  Here's what he suggested with a
bit more elaboration.  Note that I am not an expert on any of this and
hadn't done any packet or digital satellite stuff in a couple of years until
today.  So I apologize for any errors!!

1.	I set the DSP-2232 to 2400 baud (from 19600 which didn't seem to work
with P3T) using the PC-Pakratt for Windows program that came with the modem.
You go to Configure...TNC1...TNC Configure...to do this.  You could also do
this from the Hyperterminal program I guess but I didn't try it.

2.	I used the Hyperterminal program that comes with Windows 98 to set up the
modem...if you don't have hyperterminal installed go to
start...settings...control panel...add/remove programs...windows
setup...communications...hyperterminal  and install it... you'll need the
windows 98 CD.  I used the hyperterm program to do this because for some
reason things didn't work for me from PC-Pakratt.  Doesn't mean they won't
for you...

3.	Bring up Hyperterminal and Enter the desired name (I used P3T but it
doesn't matter as long as you haven't used it before).  Click on 'OK'.
Under Connect Using on the next screen click the pull down menu to bring up
your com port (I just had choices of 1-4) where you have the DSP-2232
connected.  Then click OK and OK and you should be left with a terminal
screen.  Hit enter a time or two..you should see 'cmd:'

4.	Then start following Alan's instructions:
	a.	type DSP and hit enter
	b.	type OP and the 2232 should respond 'Op mode DSPdata'

5.	Exit Hyperterm and start P3T

6.	Go to Menu and to Config.
	a.	Go to setup on the pulldown menu
	b.	Set Baud rate to 2400 and click on 2400 to highlight it
	c.	Set Modem type to 512 byte
	d.	Set default directory by typing in where you have P3T
	e.	Set UTC offset
	f.	Set TCP/IP Boot to Normal
	g.	Save

7.	On the main P3T screen click on Raw under text, and on Status, Menu, Nav,
Power, and Temp under Data.  Put each of these windows where you want it on
the screen and then close each individually by clicking the 'x' in the upper
right hand corner of each...doing this will cause each to appear again in
the same position on the screen when you reopen it.  You will see the byte
number on the main screen run from 1 to 512 each time data is acquired, and
the data screens will fill with data for each parameter.  This is really
cool to watch.  Im doing it here with just an M2 omnidirectional loop in the
attic.

8.	You can save the data with a log, but I haven't checked this out yet.

9.	I will put an audio file on my website, or a link to someone elses if I
find one already on the web (I know it was listed here but I lost the
message), so you can hear what it should sound like when tuned.  The center
tune bar on my DSP2232 does not end up at center for me when I have best
copy, for reasons I don't understand...(ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS??)

This is how Alan suggests tuning your receiver:

That's it!  The unit buffers the data and outputs it at the terminal TBAUD
baud rate.  Now select USB and tune in the signal by ear/meter.  There
should be a single light bar in the PORT 1 LCD, somewhere near the center.
Tune the radio, slowly, to center the bar.  Note that the LCD seems to be
updated every few seconds, so change the tuning and wait for a response.
Anywhere near the center, and you should be "printing" to your terminal
program. --Alan  WA4SCA

Hope that helps someone else get started on this great adventure...

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ ex AA3QK, WA3JYM  FN20ah
2 Merrymount Road