Re: P3D

on 11/15/00 11:19 PM, KC8GXR at kc8gxr@tengen.com wrote:

> Perhaps this is an indication of when...
>

> To move P3D from this orbit the arcjet motor will burn intermittently (at
> perigee) over a 270-day period, with final inclination and apogee
> adjustments made by the spacecraft's 400 Newton motor. "When these maneuvers
> are completed and three-axis stabilization is achieved, the satellite solar
> panels will then be spread out to receive full sunlight," said Haighton. "It
> is anticipated that at this time the satellite will be fully operational for
> use by amateur radio operators around the world."

Actually, some use will be available long before this period is over.
Depending on the power budget, the satellite may be usable during the time
of the arcjet firing.  I think we can expect that we can start trying to use
it in about a month or maybe a little more.  However, it won't be an easy
bird to work.  The low gain antennas will be the ones in use since the high
gain ones will be pointing away from earth.  Additionally, the apogee will
be raised to about 70,000 KM or something like 45,000 miles.  That's a LONG,
LONG way out.  Signals will be quite weak.  Additionally, still because the
solar panels won't be fully deployed, the transponders will not be at their
full power level.

So we can expect a fully operational bird in about 9 to 10 months.  A
semi-operational bird in about 1.5 months.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden