SEC: UNCLASSIFIED - Comment: Newspaper Article - Phase 3D

>I'm interested to know did you write the piece or did the journo'?
>If it was yours was it heavily edited?

Thanks for that question, Norm.

The article ran as I wrote it, EXCEPT that the sub-editor rang me with a few
very minor clarifications. The biggest: He asked and I agreed that he could
remove the technical jargon words specific to the "the solar cosmic
radiation with flux and total dose instruments...". (He removed 'flux and
total dose'.)

What disappointed me most, and which he did not check with me, was his
changing the case of 'Amateur Radio' to be 'amateur radio' throughout - even
the title.

## The lesson for Amateurs and any other community organisation: Find
someone who can feed journalists the story you want them to print or run on
TV or radio, but who has learned to write in a style that makes sense TO
THEIR AUDIENCE (hence to the journalist.) In my experience, published
success follows. ##

Fascinatingly, a local Amateur placed an ad for his business that on the
same page. It cost Aust.$650 (~US$340) for about 11cm x 13cm = (~4.5 x 5
inches). The photo of Phase 3D was almost that big, the photo of Ariane 5
was about half as big again, and the article took up both pages of the
tabloid except for a string of ads like his around the bottom and part-way
up the side. He said that he was very pleased (and pleasantly surprised) to
be associated with the article.

Figure the 'value' of the article space! Tabloid page = ~27cm x 38cm = ~1025
sq cm TIMES TWO = 2050 sq cm, minus ads of ~720sq cm = ~1300sq cm. That's
~A$6,000 (US$3,000) at advertising rates.

The article is now up on the VK1 web page. The direct URL is :
http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org/P3D.htm <http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org/P3D.htm>  ,
or you can go the long way via the home page at http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org
<http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org>  ! The two photos were the ones used in the
article. Their placement on the web page is about where they came in the
context of the printed page. The graphic of P3D is what I wanted to run, but
did not get in.

It will be updated in a few hours...

Best wishes,
Peter Ellis