Re: Headset monitor at 9600?

on 11/12/00 5:51 PM, Dale Coleman at kf4sir@earthlink.net wrote:

> I'm trying to hook up a new Alinco DR-605TQ to my new TNC3S and want to be
> able to use a headset to monitor the received signal.  All is well until I
> switch the Alinco into the 9600 mode, once this is done I can't used the SP
> output. If I try the rig locks up and goes into TX.

Probably won't be able to.  The audio filters in a rig are what screw up
high speed packet.  So they bypass them.  Now, some rigs do let you monitor
the signal on the speaker while using 9600 (FT-847 for one).  But it appears
yours switches the audio signal between the two respective paths instead of
just splitting it.

It is nice to be able to hear it, but I don't think you gain much from it.
It's just bursts of white noise. The most benefit I had was when I was able
to hear some guys using my local packet cluster frequency for their FM voice
simplex (it IS a packet channel NOT a voice channel).  I requested they
move, but that did no good!

73,

Jon
NA9D