Protecting radio from static

Hi folks,

We will soon send a remote controllable ground station to SANAE in
Antarctica.  I was told that high voltages, built up on the antennas
(there is no proper ground), will blow the front end of the radio if
it is not properly protected.  Will a 10 k shunt resistor over the
radio's antenna ports do the job?  We will use an Icom IC-821H.

73 de ZR1CBC, Johann