Beacons

I'm interested in receiving telemetry from satellites,
and the beacons on various amateur satellites seem to be
the place to start. How many have beacons and what is the
basic equipment I need hear them?
I have a Bearcat BC100 XLT scanner that covers from 29 mhz
up to 512 mhz. Will this be adequate to pick up their signal?
What antenna would work best? Would a ground plane be right?
I have a lot more questions, so any information that can be
supplied would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Glover
belenus@home.com