Re: New to the game!!!!!!

Harold - KB7RSI asked:

> Hello all.
> Names Harold here in Las Vegas.  As the title states, I'm new to this sat
> game.  My first of many questions, (but not tonight)begins with something I
> think will be simple.  I think I'm more interested in the pacsats since I am
> a sysop for a local bbs system.  I was wondering if theres a way to use my
> old 8' tvro dish in working the pacsats?  Also, steering the thing.  Of
> course it only has the actuator for e and w movement.  Is there a way to use
> another one for elevation and use say the program Wisp to control them?
> Thats if its possible to use this dish.
> Thanks and hope I hadnt talk too much for my first question.  :-)
> 73 everyone de...
> Harold
> kb7rsi
> Las Vegas, Nv.

Hi Harold,
Welcome to the birds.  Ask away.  We're all here to help.  Since I only work the
analog satellites, I can only hope you will come up on those birds as well.  As
to using your 8' TVRO dish, if you can come up with a way to point it, that
would work great for the higher frequencies, but may be too small for 2M (and
maybe 430).  8 foot is just over 1 wavelength at 2M and that's pretty small for
a dish.
I'm not trying to put him on the spot, but John - N6PJP is active on the FM
satellites and lives in Las Vegas and may be able to help you as a "local"
Elmer.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org