Re: P3D 2400 MHz band use?

on 11/7/00 2:08 AM, Deon Erwin at zr1dq@qsl.net wrote:

> More wireless LAN products are finding their way onto this band and there is
> also talk of wireless Internet on 2400 MHz.  Bob makes very valid points and
> we should all take notice and action.

I'd agree.  Bluetooth devices should not be a problem as much as other
devices are going to be.  That's because of the significant distance
limitations on Bluetooth (it's designed to work within a few feet).

Other WLAN stuff posses a much bigger problem as the IEEE standard stuff can
use external antennas and what not.

Of course the whole idea behind these devices is that they are spread
spectrum and will not cause interference to any other services.  Well,
perhaps not with one device, but with many the noise floor raises as several
folks point out.

Hams unfortunately, have helped to propagate the myth that spread spectrum
can coexist with other forms of modulation without interference.

I think we are partially to blame for the problems we face in our own bands.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden