Re: FT-847 CAT

----- Original Message -----
From: Anthony Monteiro <aa2tx@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2000 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FT-847 CAT

> At 06:33 AM 11/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Which FT-847 computer tuning program will work Split Frequency, Same Band
> >with Doppler Correction ...
>
> Hi Guys,
> The FT-847 CAT interface does not permit what we would
> normally call "split" operation. There are no commands
> to set the VFOs or even to activate split mode. I wonder
> sometimes about Yaesu because the FT-100 will do this but
> not the FT-847. Too bad because there are times
> you might want this (mode K for example.)
>
> On the other hand, it MAY be possible to run the FT-847
> in "FM repeater" mode by setting the repeater offset
> to correct for doppler. This would only work in FM mode
> but that would at least handle the ISS. I will look into
> the possibility of doing this.

Tony -

We use the FM repeater mode in The Station Program.  I've used it for SAREX
contacts as well as for the Mir when the SAFEX repeater was up and
operating.  The software computes both frequencies compensated for Doppler
at the Ground station.  From the two frequencies, the offset is computed
from the difference (i.e., TX - RX) and the VFO frequency is set from the
receive frequency.  I was able to use the SAFEX repeater horizon-to-horizon
with this method.

73, Ken N2WWD