Re: YES!!!!! ALPHA ON A HAND HELD!!!!

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Yes, we were routinely doing handheld-to-handheld packet comms with MIR
> back when it was on 2 meters.  This shows the 9 dB advantage of 2 meters
> to omni antennas over UHF...  ALso, of course, ISS is running probably 10
> watts or  more compared to the usual amateur satellite that is running a
> watt or so...

Then Jon Ogden - NA9D replied:

> ISS is also at a much, much lower altitude.  About 200 miles or so.  Most of
> the LEOs are somewhere around 500 to 600 miles - about twice the distance.

Better check you facts Jon.  MIR and the ISS are at about the same altitude.
Moments ago (in preperation for this note), MIR was at 336 KM and Alpha at 351
KM.  Both altitudes determined using Nova for Windows and the elements AMSAT-NA
sent out a day or two ago.  Both manned stations are lower than the most of the
LEO satellites however

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org