Re: YES!!!!! ALPHA ON A HAND HELD!!!!

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Docfester wrote:

> I just heard Alpha on a handheld for the 13:16 UTC (7:16 ET) pass!! 143.625
> On a RADIO SHACK Pro-64 handheld scanner NO EXTERNAL ANTENNA (my Mom and Dad
> as witnesses!!)

Yes, we were routinely doing handheld-to-handheld packet comms with MIR
back when it was on 2 meters.  This shows the 9 dB advantage of 2 meters
to omni antennas over UHF...  ALso, of course, ISS is running probably 10
watts or  more compared to the usual amateur satellite that is running a
watt or so...

bob