Re: Kenwood TS-2000

Jon Ogden (NA9D) wrote:

> on 10/31/00 8:59 PM, Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL at vlfiscus@mcn.net wrote:
>
> > The words on the specs sheet, "Transverter frequency Ready" have me
> > worried that the rig might not be able to do full-duplex modes UV
> > or VU for ao-10 or the Fuji's.  It does appear that it should be
> > able to work the FM and digital birds ok though.
>
> No, it WILL indeed do full duplex on VU, UV or whatever.  I have
> asked this personally of Clifford Yueda at Kenwood and he confirmed
> that this is the case.  So has Leo Famie.  Both have stated that it
> will be FULLY satellite ready.

Actually, Vince, the spec sheet doesn't say "Transverter frequency
Ready", it says:

  "satellite ready"  which confirms what Jon says above, and. . .

  "with transverter frequency display" which means to me that if you
     add an outboard 2.4 GHz transverter for mode LS, then the
     radio's display can show 2401.0 MHz when tuned to 2401.0 MHz,
     instead of 145.0 MHz which is likely to be the IF frequency
     the 2.4 GHz transverter would use when tuned to 2401.0 MHz.

I agree that the ad in QST was misleading, where it seemed to
associate the dual receive capability with satellite operation.
They are in fact unrelated.  The Yaesu FT-847 CANNOT perform dual
receive, but it obviously CAN perform as a satellite rig.  Think
about it.  You don't need to receive on two bands at once.  What
you need is the ability to simultaneously transmit on one band
and receive on a different band.  The FT-847 does this.  So does
the TS-2000.

Another tipoff to this ability is the phrase on the spec sheet:
  "cross-band repeat"  This implicitly means the ability to
    receive on one frequency band, and simultaneously transmit
    the same signal (repeat) on a different band.  This doesn't
    quite guarantee by itself that a radio is satellite capable,
    but it means that the "hard part" (simultaneous transmit and
    receive) is working, and as long as you can do this WITHOUT
    automatically looping the receiver to the transmitter, you
    have a satellite radio.

Given that the TS-2000 has cross-band repeat and ALSO a wholly
independent second transceiver inside, it presumably can ALSO do
bi-directional cross-band repeating, where (for example) whatever
it hears on 2M is repeated on 70cm, and whatever it hears on 70cm
is repeated on 2M.  Some folks do this to extend the range of
their HT via a capable base or mobile radio, though most of the
time such operation is not in full compliance with FCC rules
due to the lack of a timeout timer and automatic station ID
capabilities in most such radios.  But that's a whole different
subject.

Anyway, the bottom line is that YES, YES, YES, the TS-2000 is
designed to be a functional satellite radio right out of the box.
The additional dual-band FM transceiver is EXTRA functionality
not related to satellite use per se.

John (KBØZEV)