Re: RS13 QRM

I for one would be very sorry to see Mode K disappear
on RS 12/13.  I believe it has done much to influence
others to become interested in Amateur Satellites.  If
the FM birds are considered the "easy sats" for the
non-HF licensed I would say that RS-12/13 is considered
the "easy sat" for those with full privileges.  They already
have all the gear that is necessary.  I have encouraged
numerous DXpeditions to the Caribbean to operate that
bird and have seen the fruits of my efforts in them continuing
satellite operations upon their return home.  There has been
Satellite DXCC earned on RS-12/13 and several other ops
that I know of are very close as well.  It would not have been
remotely possible without Mode K.
There will always be 15M QRM on this bird...that is/will be
one of the challenges in operating it.  As anyone who was
on the HF bands this past weekend during CQ World Wide
SSB Contest will tell you they were filled to overcapacity
with signals.  Ten meters was filled with DX from 28.3 to
29.  SSB contest season means a few lost weekends on
RS-12/13 BUT it also means that for a few days before
and after the contest there are operations from islands
and places that are seldom heard on any satellite.

Don -VE1AOE-    CY0,  CY9, C56, KP1, FP ( all on RS-12/13)