Mail Readers for this List (was Windows Question)

David Rush <ky0dr@arrl.net  wrote -

> I've a big fan of Eudora.  Version 3 was (and still is) a great product for
> either very little ($29 I think), or they had a
> less-featured-but-still-good "light" version for free.

Yes, I've been trying out Eudora Lite V3, and quite like it but
haven't yet decided whether it's the best one for me.

> The message filtering works great - I'm on several mailing lists and I'd go
> insane if it wasn't able to automatically filter them into their respective
> folders.  It doesn't really seem to understand the concept of threads,
> though - it can sort by "subject line contains XYZ" and several variations.

AFAIK sorting by subject & threads are much the same.  Threads tend
to be associated with Usenet.  Perhaps the sorting isn't done
automatically by mail readers, as it is by news readers?

> I'd love to see Java become the language of choice for passing around
> simple (or not-so-simple) programs.  Unfortunately the majority of people
> seem to think that Java means a web page and a GUI.  Not true - you can
> make short text-mode programs that work great and are far simpler to write
> (and read) than GUI-based programs.  And it's free, and about as portable
> as could be.

That's an interesting suggestion.  I have just got a book on it from
our local  library , so will try it out.

73

         Clive    G3CWV

         Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.