Re: Silly Question

Mike Kana wrote:

> Greetings All
>
> If a satellite becomes derelict (i.e. no longer operational), what laws
> of salvage apply?

Not a silly question at all!

I have thought about this a bit... I even put together a fictitious
robotic spacecraft to deal with the issue and ran some crude calculations.

There are many, many, many pieces of things, probably a few satellites
also, that are floating about up there.  The question might be not what
value they are but what is the value of the orbit they are in???  What is
it worth to you if I can reduce your risk of impact (and therefore your
insurance costs or maybe even enable your mission) by clearing your
orbital path for you???

On more than one occasion I have heard that shuttle launches or operations
have been delayed because of the risk of collision...

Hmm...

--
Bronson Crothers
LASST