Doppler Tracking via the Transit System

The discussions of determining locations using Doppler shift got me reading
about the old Transit military navigation satellites.  From my research on
the Web, it looks like you determine your position by knowing the exact time,
frequency and orbit of the satellite.  That data was dowlinked to the
receiver from the Transit satellite.  I imagine you determine your latitude
by computing where the satellite is when your receiver frequency equals the
satellite frequency, i.e., no Doppler shift.  I don't see how you determine
your longitude with this system.  I imagine there are formulas that will
enable you to triangulate how far to the side you are from the satellite by
noting the reduced Doppler shift.  If the pass were near the horizon it would
be obvious if you were to the West or east of the satellite since your
ballistic missile submarine would either be in the Atlantic or in Kentucky.
If the pass were near overhead, how would you determine which side of the
satellite you were on?  Also, how did the receivers circa 1964 compute this
information?  Automatically or did the operator use a slide rule and maps?  I
would really like to hear from anyone with some specifics on this system.

Thanks,

AJ

W4NM