Re: Re: Windows Question

Can anyone recommend a good email reader for my PDP 1107?  It's so hard to
find a good POP package that works well with the paddle switches and LEDs.

Please note: JUST KIDDING!

>I use normally use YARN for reading this mailing list.  Although its
>the best reader I've found so far for reading large lists, such as
>this one, it's a bit messy to use with Windows.  I'm currently
>evaluating POP-3 news readers & mailers. Can any one recommend a good
>reader for this list?  Needs to put the subjects in threads.

I've a big fan of Eudora.  Version 3 was (and still is) a great product for
either very little ($29 I think), or they had a
less-featured-but-still-good "light" version for free.

Version 4 had some added features and changed the interface a bit, but was
still a good product.

Version 5 is out now, and is what I'm writing this message with.  You can
pay for it ($49 I think), or use it for free in "sponsored" mode with a
small advertisement (about 150x150 pixels on my screen).  I think there's a
"light" mode as well, that's less featured but free and no ads.

The message filtering works great - I'm on several mailing lists and I'd go
insane if it wasn't able to automatically filter them into their respective
folders.  It doesn't really seem to understand the concept of threads,
though - it can sort by "subject line contains XYZ" and several variations.

Unfortunately it only runs under Windoze (I'd kill for a Linux version) -
although I think there might be a Mac version.  If you're running a Windoze
box with a slower processor speed, I'd recommend getting Eudora version 3
if you can find it - it's lean and mean.  If you have a machine of decent
speed (works well on my laptop, which is no more than a couple hundred MHz
and 96 MB RAM), version 5 has some nice enhancements and runs well.

>Finally a rather worrying trend.  I've noticed that there is now no
>simple programming language suplied with Windows, eg QBASIC.  This
>must discourage users from writing simple programs, and I've noticed
>that there isn't much software around in source code form these days.
>  Visual BASIC is available, but is fairly expensive, and rather
>complicated for simple applications.

I'd love to see Java become the language of choice for passing around
simple (or not-so-simple) programs.  Unfortunately the majority of people
seem to think that Java means a web page and a GUI.  Not true - you can
make short text-mode programs that work great and are far simpler to write
(and read) than GUI-based programs.  And it's free, and about as portable
as could be.

David, ky0dr