RE: Re: Windows Question

Laura Halliday asks:

> May I ask what DOS programs people still run? The
> only command-line DOS programs I've run in years
> have been fdisk and format...

Hmmm, let's see...

-InstantTrack, along with the TSR rotor control and tuning stuff that
works with it.  It's been rock-solid for years.  Since I do analog, not
digital sats, why hassle with WISP?
-STSPLUS
-RITTY by K6STI for RTTY and Pactor
-P38Comm (HAL's DOS program for the P38 DSP card--more reliable than
their Windows version).
-TSE, The Semware Editor (although I'm upgrading to the 32-bit "console"
version).
-All sorts of batch files, and 4DOS and NT scripts I've written for
myself over the years.

Many DOS ham programs run fine in a DOS box under Windows.  Some, like
InstantTrack and RITTY, need to be in full-screen mode for their
graphics.  It's still worth it to use them.  I did get rid of a couple
of ham programs that required a boot-to-exclusive DOS.

We should probably make the distinction between "DOS" and command-line.
Real-mode DOS is virtually dead except for games and other things that
require exclusive use of all hardware (such as timing-critical DSP
stuff). But the ability to run command lines, and genuinely useful old
command-line programs is not something I would want to give up.

There are many times when a command line is much faster and more
efficient than a GUI.  A GUI is best when you are learning a program, or
don't use it every day.  The kind of keyboard commands you often get in
DOS programs are much faster when you know them and use them all the
time.  As a netadmin and support person, I am constantly doing things
with files and lists that lend themselves best to command lines, batch
files, pipes, redirections, sorts and the like.  Sure, someone could
write a GUI program to do everything I need, but they haven't, and if I
can cobble together a quick, dirty and free solution in a batch file, I
will.

I can't tell you how many times my knowledge of DOS has saved people's
little pink posteriors over the years. When Windows won't boot, you'd
better know how to boot to a command line and restore files--or how to
get the user's crucial work files off the machine even though the long
file names are lost and half the directories (excuse me, folders) have
been named to DIR0001 and such.

As every UNIX/LINUX guru knows, command lines are user-friendly--it's
just that they're particular about which users they're friendly with.
:-)

73 from KD7MW,
--Peter