Re: Windows Question

I have been very interested in this thread.   I had been wondering
about Windows ME, so will have a look at the Langa web site.

I still make a lot of use of DOS.  Over the years I have obtained
much DOS software which I find easy to use and adequate for most
purposes.  Titles include 4DOS (DOS shell), GALAXY (WP), SIMON
(Editor like SideKick), ASEASYAS (spreadsheet), QBASIC, Personal C,
Turbo C, & YARN (Internet mail & news).

The main reason for using Windows 3.1 & more recently 98 is that much
of the recent software needs it. Many internet sites now require you
to use the latest browsers, which need Win95/8.

I have found that there is a long learning curve to transfer to
Windows after using DOS & other earlier operating systems (DEC). I
find that many of the Win applications are tedious to use, and tiring
on my eyes.

I've set up my computer (with Partition/Boot Magic) so that it can
boot up in pure DOS or Win98, each having its own separate C:
partition. The remaining partitions are common to both operating systems.

I use normally use YARN for reading this mailing list.  Although its
the best reader I've found so far for reading large lists, such as
this one, it's a bit messy to use with Windows.  I'm currently
evaluating POP-3 news readers & mailers. Can any one recommend a good
reader for this list?  Needs to put the subjects in threads.

Finally a rather worrying trend.  I've noticed that there is now no
simple programming language suplied with Windows, eg QBASIC.  This
must discourage users from writing simple programs, and I've noticed
that there isn't much software around in source code form these days.
 Visual BASIC is available, but is fairly expensive, and rather
complicated for simple applications.

73

         Clive    G3CWV

         Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.