Re: Radio Tracking Fun

Edward,

Thanks for your e-mail and the info.

I just found this link which may be of help:

http://www.oneocean.org/ambassadors/track_a_turtle/satellite/how_to_track.html

As for "Germane" to the Amateur Radio Community... years ago I read a book
titled "Should Trees Have Standing?" investigating the potential "legal
rights" of nature. Hams and Amateur Radio Emergency Services Nets (ARES)
are great during short-lived "emergencies" involving humans and human
property. Is there anyone on this list interested in expanding "services"
to the longer-term ecological emergency at hand. It's the year 2000 and
Hams have got to get with it... as pointed out several times on the list
recently...

AND! What better way to monitor and communicate about the global
environmental problem than Sats! And remember NO environment NO Amateur
Radio!

In following links from the OneOcean Site I discovered the International
Foundation for Telemetry. A couple of recent papers on Packet are enough
for any hardcore digital Ham!

http://www.telemetry.org/lawfeher.pdf and
http://www.telemetry.org/yamada.pdf

You need Adobe Reader 3.0 or later to read these...

And although the ARGOS sats use doppler to calculate location, I would
think that APRS is a more cost effective approach in many cases!

OJ