Re: An V/U antenna for LEOs?

Bob,

I know you mean well. It would seem that your generalizations are getting
you into trouble.

I am sure that an OSCAR home station can beat the pants off of a HT with
quarter wave whip. Just the same, a standard terrestrial two meter station
would have large problems working the LEO's, and the user would be better
advised to use his HT.

About APRS. You seem to be pushing hard promoting its use. As a data
protocol, I sort of look at it as a Store Forward Text Paging system, which
given all the short comings of LEO's is great. I personally have a problem
with what the APRS protocol was intended for. I do not want to tell others
where I am at all the time. We already have enough people intruding into
our privacy, willingly or not. Perhaps they should rename the protocol. I
for one am not going to place a GPS on myself and spout out here I am. I
distrust the latest initiative by the United States Government to place GPS
into all of our cell phones.

In short, while understanding your zeal for technology, try to temper your
enthusiasm and look at some of these issues through the eyes of
others...... :-)

73's

Christopher Cox
KC8FRJ