Re: An V/U antenna for LEOs?

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:

> After almost 8 years since my last contact via satellite, I'm trying to
> back again to this world. I've been listening with a walkie and rubber
> duckie antenna some UO-14 and UO-11 pases and surprisingly, the signal
> was really great!.

Yes, Mobile or HT satelite operation gets rid of COAX LOSS.  That is why
it worsk far better than a HOME station.  Also siec an HT or a CAR  ROOF
can see exactly the same sky as an antenna 75 feet up, there is no reason
for any coax.

But no matter how you cut it, the Satellie signal will be 6 to 10 dB
further away at low elevation angles.  Thus you get a good signal for the
center few minutes of the pass but  must have a gain antenna to see any
more.

> > Now I look for an aerial, that permits me to work these LEOs (SO-35,
> UO-14, FO-20, FO-29, etc) with a 50 watts dual band multimode rig... I
> tried to test a egg-beater antenna, but I'm unable to find the RG-62
> cable... Will a low gain vertical do the job? O:-)

No.  You need gain.  Try the 19.75" 2m whip over a ground plane.  It has
almost 8 dBi of gain at the 435 MHz downlink abouve about 30 deg.  Thus it
works best when the satllite is also at its closed point.  It wont hear
anything below about 20 deg tho, nor will any other simple omni.  The
satellites is 6 to 10 dB further away, and nothing but a beam will pull it
out..

de WB4APR

> How do you work these sats? Please, feel free to write at my own address
> with your antena set-up and the performance you got with it... I need
> some ideas!
>
> Thanks in advance!

> |    Miguel A. Vallejo    |
> |   ea4eoz@jazzfree.com   |

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html