Re: Radio Tracking Fun

"O.J. Lougheed" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> A lurker here. I just found an interesting web article at
> http://www.tmmc.org/artemistracking.htm that at least Bob B. and the APRS
> crowd will be interested in. (Tracking an endangered Stellar Sealion with
> satellites.)
>
> In addition, yesterday I found the Goddard Space Center SimSat site for all
> you balloon - "non-orbital satellite" enthusiasts:
> http://simsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssmiss.htm (Great project for any Ham with
> extra time!)
>
> While all this may have more to do with the Education list (which seems to
> be inactive and therefore posted here), I thought that there are some very
> interesting things happening that could help to find "that one kid" as
> talked about several weeks ago, as well as help define some of the "public
> service," education, and other (technical?) sometimes seemingly heated
> debates of late.
>
> But above all else, it all looks like fun (and technical) "radio" stuff to
> me. "It's a hobby, it's a hobby, it's a ..."
>
> And for anyone who is interested in "advising" some Russian and Buryat kids
> start a "Radio Sport Club" please check out our project
> http://www.nerpa.net/eso/ It's in a GREAT location! For more:
> http://www.buryatia.ru/baikal/index_e.html
>
> O.J. Lougheed ex-N5JXU, Irkutsk, Siberia

Thank you for posting this..

The New York Times reported last week that the Pacific Loggerhead turtle makes
it's way from the California coast  across the Pacific Ocean to Japan, and
returns. Acrossing takes about one year.
Three Loggerheads have been fitted with transmitters to track them. A
sattellite picks up the signals and reports them.
Does anyone know the details of this research? Sats? Frequencies?

I regard these extensions of our hobby as germane. Perhaps AMSAT could publish
others under "extra curricular activities". :-)

Edward J.O'Connor    w2ttm