RE: Use your fair share

> Reggie,
>
> We all were newbies at satellite operation at one time or
> another.  The
> main
> reason the "frustrated newbies" aren't making contacts is because THEY
> DON'T
> KNOW HOW TO OPERATE.   It takes time to learn all the ins and outs of
> operating

IMHO, I would _strongly_ recommend newcomers reading the introductory
articles on the AMSAT site.  They are an excellent primer for satellite
operation.  Also, perhaps we should have a checklist of how common antennas
perform with satellites (how many people have you heard that can't hear the
birds on Mode J on their high gain terrestrial omni?).

I'm also a believer in the concept of Elmering, and make myself available to
local clubs to do presentations on introductory satellite operation,
complete with a demo, if passes permit.  The more we can educate and assist
newcomers, the better it will be for everyone!

Speaking of education, I am planning a piece titled "Taming the Parrot", to
cover the unique SO-35 parrot mode.  Just need time to put finger to
keyboard on that one. :-)

> Having tried out all the current voice/CW birds, I'd say the  FM birds
> are the
> hardest ones to cut your teeth on.  The QRM is awful; the pace of the
> operation
> is pretty fast, you don't have too much time to fool around
> and you lose
> your station.

Indeed, you have to be on your toes on FM. :)

> The other birds that allow many simultaneous  QSO's give a
> new operator
> much
> more time to figure out what he's doing and to take his time making a
> contact,
> and talking longer without interruption.  And it does NOT take a very
> complicated
> or expensive station or  very big antennas to work  FO-20,FO-29 and
> RS-13. And you have an entire pass to experiment around with your
> uplink/downlink without bringing

The linear LEOs are relatively easy to work.  probably the most suitable for
beginners is RS-13, as it's a band combination many amateurs are likely to
have, and antennas and Doppler issues are less severe than up on 70cm.