Re: Use your fair share

on 10/11/00 1:42 PM, k6yk@juno.com at k6yk@juno.com wrote:

> Having tried out all the current voice/CW birds, I'd say the  FM birds
> are the
> hardest ones to cut your teeth on.

I couldn't agree more.  The "myth" is that they are "easy" because they can
be worked with an HT and a handheld antenna.  RS-13 is a much easier beast
to fool with.  I cut my teeth there, moved to the FO birds and then to
AO-10.  It was quite a while before I even ventured on to AO-27 (for one
because I am not normally home during the day but I wanted to learn to
operate satellites).  I've still never gotten on SO-35.

It's much easier to learn doppler, antenna tracking, etc. when you can fool
around and listen to your downlink and not interfere with other people
making a QSO.

73,

Jon
NA9D