Re: Use your fair share

Reggie,

We all were newbies at satellite operation at one time or another.  The
main
reason the "frustrated newbies" aren't making contacts is because THEY
DON'T
KNOW HOW TO OPERATE.   It takes time to learn all the ins and outs of
operating
a ham station.  Passing a test and getting  a piece of radio gear is just
the beginning.
One must learn how to use it and make the best of it with antennas and
whatever
other hardware might be necessary for the band/mode one is trying to use.

I don't think  ANYBODY hogs the satellites. I listen to all the voice and
CW
birds.  There are stations who make lots of contacts and stations who
don't make very
many. It has a lot to do with how they operate. Actually the louder
stations can
make contacts quickly and be done with it, actually using much less of
the pass.

Having tried out all the current voice/CW birds, I'd say the  FM birds
are the
hardest ones to cut your teeth on.  The QRM is awful; the pace of the
operation
is pretty fast, you don't have too much time to fool around and you lose
your station.
The other birds that allow many simultaneous  QSO's give a new operator
much
more time to figure out what he's doing and to take his time making a
contact,
and talking longer without interruption.  And it does NOT take a very
complicated
or expensive station or  very big antennas to work  FO-20,FO-29 and
RS-13. And you have an entire pass to experiment around with your
uplink/downlink without bringing
the whole operation to it's knees. The other stations can operate without
being
interfered with.

73,
John, K6YK