Re: circular polarization sense

on 10/10/00 4:22 AM, Paul Williamson at kb5mu@AMSAT.Org wrote:

>> I said most birds are spin stabilized so the resulting signal out of the
>> bird is CP anyhow.
>
> That doesn't follow. You can't make circular polarization by physically
> spinning a linear antenna.

My mistake.  You're correct.  AS I began thinking about it this morning, I
realized that there was a flaw in my argument.  Yes, by rotating a linear
antenna you get a polarization that changes with rotation, but not CP (as
you pointed out).  Well, you "could" do it if you rotated your antenna at
the proper speed to generate a 90 degree change in polarization every 1/4
wavelength, but that would be rather impossible to acheive.

That's what I get for trying to post a 2:30 AM!

And your comments about the angle of the satellite to ground station are
very valid as well.  I thought about that while drifting off to sleep!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden