Re: P3D information

>   1. easily eavesdrop on other people's conversations.
>   2. meet new people with similar interests.
>   3. participate in a multi-person roundtable.

>The question. Will my three desires be met with a satellite-based digital
>voice system? I am not being critical, I just don't understand all the

All these things are very easily done with a digital voice system if
we want. If we use the Internet Protocol (IP) for all the RUDAK user
traffic, then we can use IP multicasting to support the group-mode
services you describe. IP multicasting is especially well suited for
satellite channels. And because it's IP, it's very easily gatewayed to
the regular Internet so those without satellite stations of their own
could still join in.

There are already freely-available software packages that provide
voice, video and whiteboard conferencing over the Internet multicast
backbone, and they would work just fine over a satellite multicast
channel.

My favorite is "vat", which has been around for some time.  It
displays a window that shows everybody in the conference, and when
somebody talks their name highlights. If two people talk at the same
time, both names light up and you hear both voices (no destructive
QRM). If somebody's being a jerk and won't shut up, you can click a
box next to his name and squelch him without turning off anybody
else. You can also make side comments to one of the participants that
the others won't hear.

Vat uses totally distributed mechanisms; there is no central
server. E.g., when you squelch somebody, you squelch him only for you;
everybody else continues to hear him until they do the same.

Here's a link to some documentation on VAT and related tools:

http://www.linofee.org/~elkner/Mbone/tools/index.html

Internet portals like Yahoo! also have web-based voice chat rooms
analogous to the text-mode chat services. The style of operation is
remarkably like a FM repeater, except there's full-break-in if you
have a full duplex sound card. But these services rely on centralized
servers that work much like DX Cluster, which I'd prefer to avoid in a
system like ours.

Phil