Re: P3D information

on 10/9/00 4:26 PM, Hamish Moffatt at hamish@cloud.net.au wrote:

>> As someone who works in the cellular industry, I can say with confidence
>> that the passing of analog for digital was not what it was cracked up to be.
>> Digital at best gives you approximately a 3:1 capacity improvement over
>
> IMHO the best thing about digital was the sound quality improvement (too many
> noisy analogue calls) and the integrated services like SMS and caller ID.
> (SMS: Short Messaging Service on GSM.)

Sound quality improvement?  That was a marketing idea for digital cellular.
The overall sound quality of most digital cellular systems is far worse than
the analog ones.  People sound like they are talking out of a fishbowl!

Features like caller ID and SMS (or similar) were available on the NAMPS
analog system as well.

73,

Jon
NA9D