Re: P3D information

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 10:31:43AM -0500, Jon Ogden wrote:
> Do you still drive an automobile with the internal combustion engine?  Let's
> see, that was developed in the 1800s.
>
> Do you still light your home with incandessant light bulbs?  Let's see, that
> was developed in the early 1900s.
>
> Do you still eat with a knife and fork?  Let's see, those came about 100s of
> years ago.

All true, but none of these have been completely replaced for
all situations. They are old but they are still current.

> Ever been on a sailboat?  They've been around for 1000s of years....

True. If AMSAT were in the business of making lakes, would they always
have to allow sailboats? What if they deemed one lake motorised only?

> The idea that just because a technology is old it is therefore useless is
> sheer folly.  We use technology to acheive meaningful ends.  If a current

I don't think I said useless, but I don't think we should keep
old technology at the expense of new development.

> Some hams still use AM even though SSB replaced it as the dominant mode
> years ago.  Why?  ENJOYMENT.

Fine, but they don't expect to use it on satellites, do they?

cheers
Hamish