Here's how to cut the output power for transverting with the FT736R

Hi All

George K5TR sent me this!

So easy its simple!

edited version
--------------

FT736T Output Power Mod for Transverting

To drop the output power to use a transverter :

Remove the top cover taking care not to break the speaker lead.
There are two circuit boards that we want to check. The board in the
middle is the 2M board, and the one on the right is the 70cm board. If
you look near the rear end of both boards, you will see a small vertical
circuit board. Right near these are three potentiometers.

Let's start with the 2M board.
The pots are located behind the small vertical circuit board. The pots
are labeled VR02, VR03 and VR04 left to right. First we must connect a
dummy load and wattmeter and verify that we have 25w RF with the front
panel drive control set to MAX. Set the radio to FM and set the freq. to
the center of 2M band. Press MOX and adjust VR02 (the left pot) for the
required output level. It will go to zero but the end adjustment is
touchy. Next check the front panel meter for an indication of 8 on the
PO scale. If not, adjust VR04 (the right pot) for the correct meter
indication probably won't adjust to full scale on low levels (below 3
watts).

On 70 cm, the pots are labeled VR04, VR05 and VR06. They are located in
front of the small vertical circuit board. The same drill is used here
for Power out. Set the freq to the middle of the 70 cm band and adjust
VR04 (the left pot) for the required watts out and VR06 (the right pot)
for 8 on the PO meter. > That's it for the 70 cm board.

With this mod I managed to get my transverter input drive to the correct
3 watt level easily - its easy to set max output again if requirequired
- needed no hardware mods and is foolproof - I can even vary the RF
drive input to my transverter using the front panel control!

Simple eh!

73 Simon GM4PLM

       The contents of this message represent the personal opinion of the
author and are not representative of the RSGB or DUBUS unless otherwise stated.
    |       Simon Lewis GM4PLM     Editor - European Microwave News      |
    |       Radio Society of Great Britain Microwave Column Editor       |
    |                DUBUS Microwave Europe Column Editor                |
    | European Microwave News - Supporting Microwave Radio Across Europe |
    |    EMN Homepage - www.emn.org.uk      Email gm4plm@emn.org.uk      |
    |      RSGB Microwave Column Homepage - www.emn.org.uk/mwcol.htm     |
    |         RSGB Microwave Column Email uwave.radcom@rsgb.org.uk       |
    | DUBUS Microwave Europe Column Homepage - www.emn.org.uk/dubus.htm  |