Re: Cutting TX Power out from FT736R Permanently!

At 06:01 PM 10/9/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have now dedicated my FT736R to driving my microwave transverters in
>preparation for Phase 3D.
>
>There is one problem that surely someone has come across and fixed
>before and that is modding the transmit output to allow easy connection
>of a transverter. My 736 (EU model) puts out 25 watts! - I'd like to be
>able to reduce this permanently and easily, more the case safely as I
>can do without any accidents like poking 25w up my transverter which
>wants about 1 watt input when I accidentaly hit the drive control on the
>front panel.
>
>Ques. Has anyone come up with anything to do this???

Well, the quick and easy solution is to shop on Ebay and get a few
attenuators to put in the transmit line.  The first one should be able to
handle the full 25 watts, but others can be smaller wattage, depending on
the drop in the first one... figure what you need to not overload the
transverter even if you crank the FT736R all the way up....  For example, a
10 dB / 25 watt attenuator will give you 2.5 watts out with 25 watts in....
add a second smaller attenuator to fine tune what you want.

...alternately, you can probably bypass the final output and grab the
signal from the driver, but this gets messy and you might still need a
small attenuator...... I'd go with the attenuators directly on the
output.... You can quickly remove them and your rig is back to normal.