ISS/Mir news Oct 9, Shuttle launch Visible

ISS / MIR status report

October 9, 2000

Shuttle STS-92 Visible

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Shuttle STS-92 Visible
Shuttle STS-92 is a supply shuttle, going  to the ISS.  The launch date
is October 10, at 23:40 utc (aprox 7:40 pm Boston time).

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/index-n.html

Since this is an evening launch and it is pointed up the east coast of
the USA, it may be possible for people from Maine to FLA to see the
actual launch (boosting phase) of the Shuttle.  The shuttles flight path
will parallel the Atlantic coast line.  When the booster and main
orbiter engines are running, they give off a bright enough light that
they have be seen in Maine during similar launches.  So, I would suggest
that if you have clear (DARK) skies, Wednesday night, you should try for
a peek.  To help improve your chances of seeing the shuttle, I would
suggest you find a radio station which is re-broadcasting the shuttle
launch (very rare these days).  That way when you hear the launch has
taken place you can start looking.  The engines are usually only running
for about 2 minutes.  After the engines shut off, you will not be able
to see it during the boosting phase any more.  So timing is very
important.

If you miss the Boosting phase, you can try for a evening pass as a star
later in the week.  Check the NASA web page for sightings.  Yes, after
it is in orbit you CAN see the shuttle/ISS with you eyes.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

Mir:
The Mir Station is currently unmanned and all of the amateur radio
equipment is turned OFF.  The next manned mission to Mir is scheduled
for January/February 2001.  The January mission will be a short 2-4 week
mission.  I do not expect very much amateur radio voice activity, but we
are hoping for more SSTV activity.  There are two Mir crews currently
training for Mir missions in 2001 and possibly a third Mir crew.  This
would fill out the whole year for Mir.  There are big plans for a 15th
birthday of the Mir space station in February 20, 2001.  I was informed
by the chief of the Cosmonaut Amateur Radio Department at RSC Energia,
that the new Mir crews will be trained on the operations of the Amateur
Radio equipment (packet, SSTV, etc).

Mir Survivor a.k.a. Destination Mir:
NBC out bids for Destination Mir (Survivor).  The first two Survivor
series were presented by the  TV company CBS.  The Mir version of
survivor is being presented by NBC.  So, don't look on the CBS web page
for Mir stuff you need to look on the NBC page.
At the present time, the page does not have any useful information, but
it's a start.

http://www.nbci.com/LMOID/bb/fd/0,946,-0-3377,00.html
The shows producer Mark Burnett is in Australia filming the Outback
version of survivor which will air right after superbowl Sunday in
January 2001.

QSL Cards:
The Russian QSL managers have begun issuing the new Mir QSL cards. Over
100 cards have been send out, with another 400 backlog still being
processed. I will send another memo later, when the QSL managers are
ready to accept new QSL card requests.  A sample of a draft card is
posted on the MAREX Web page. Thank you for your patients.

http://www.siliconpixels.com/marex/MirQSLPageIndex.html

The MAREX web moved to a new server.  It is still on line at the same
address, but I have not had time to update the data this month.

Copyright 2000 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely distributed via the following means - Email (including
listservers), Usenet, and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for
profit including, but not limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other
commercial outlets without prior written consent from the author.
Images received from the MAREX-NA SSTV system on the Russian Space
Station Mir are considered public domain and may be freely distributed,
without prior permission.

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F