Re: Hoping for aprs satelltie success

Sorry to the sigs for all my postings, but this message below from Alaska
is exactly the kind of mission I see for mobile satellite ops:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ronald Brooks <rbrooks@arscs.com>
To: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil>
Subj: Hoping for aprs satellite messaging success

Bob,Arctic Amateur Radio Club, Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race Communications
committee met this afternoon... We decided to conduct an operational test
of APRS messaging ...  in preparation for the [1400 mile] Yukon Quest.

At the meeting, I put my THD7g on the table... we were discussing aprs
technology vs. - primative lodging, no electricity, no water, -45 C temps
and below, low sun angles, 4-5 hours of sunlight, good wind... [and the
need for logistics] including checkpoint status, musher resupply arrival,
dogs in, dogs out, dropped dogs, weather, and air taxi flight
schedules......

AND THEN a UO22 downlink message arrived on the front panel of the HT!

UOSAT5-11 Mic-e CUSTOM 2 EB15AT and a compass pointing S. 13 xxxxkm S 4
d ', W 06 [d] space.space', alt------M cse061[d]s056k.

I couldn't interpret UO22 beacon message completely.  What is all of this?

[What he saw was that the HT just happened to see one of the steady]
[stream of packets from UO22 that LOOKED like an APRS format and so]
[the  HT tried  to  decode  it  as an  APRS position/status/message]
[If it had been an APRSpacket, he would have seen:                 ]
[CALL, 20 bytes of STATUS text, and TYPE of radio                  ]
[Type of ICON, Grid square, Distance and direction to the station  ]
[LAT/LONG, Course and SPeed of the station                         ]

* The important fact is the THD7g with a whip on a table delivered
* a satellite message as we were discussing aprs messaging INSIDE of a
* metal building while talking about aprs technology!

After the excitement subsided a little, I switched to UO36 PB because of
concerns about timely weather reporting and we picked up the local weather
broadcast within a few minutes again inside the building.

The primary concern of the committee was not the race communications, it is
HAM operator travel to the remote checkpoint cabins by snowmachine or
whatever.... in the dark and camping outside at -45 C...

...I need to get funding for construction of a dozen or so APRS Trackers
for install on all Yukon Quest HAM Radio Operator snow machines this year.

WL7CPS
Ronald Brooks

* Note, fortunately up near the poles, they get many more passes per day
per satelltie than we do down here.  Satelites are perfect in that great
wilderness!