Re: P3D information

Hamish,

Do you still drive an automobile with the internal combustion engine?  Let's
see, that was developed in the 1800s.

Do you still light your home with incandessant light bulbs?  Let's see, that
was developed in the early 1900s.

Do you still eat with a knife and fork?  Let's see, those came about 100s of
years ago.

Ever been on a sailboat?  They've been around for 1000s of years....

Why do some people collect antique cars, antique radios, antique furniture,
etc?

The idea that just because a technology is old it is therefore useless is
sheer folly.  We use technology to acheive meaningful ends.  If a current
technology acheives those ends, then there is no need for a new one to
replace it.  Sure, we can improve it, but why must we always develop new
technology?

All around us are things we have had for YEARS that haven't changed.  And
even if there's a newer way to do something it doesn't mean we have to
abandon the old.  Take the sailboat example.  There are many ways to get to
a destination far faster than a sailboat.  There are newer technologies.
But why do people choose sailboats: ENJOYMENT.  They like it.  It is fun.

Ham radio is a hobby.  We do it because we enjoy it.  We don't have to
abandon old modes just because new ones come around.  CW is very ancient yet
it is alive and well on ham bands even though far better modes have been
developed and commercially CW isn't even used.  Yet go to the lower part of
40m or any of the bands and you'll hear all sorts of CW activity.  Why do we
still do it?  ENJOYMENT.  This is a freaking hobby.

Some hams still use AM even though SSB replaced it as the dominant mode
years ago.  Why?  ENJOYMENT.

I encourage new modes to be used and developed.  I personally try to operate
every mode that I possibly can use.  I buy the equipment to do it.  I enjoy
the variety.  Is one mode better than another?  By no means.  There is room
for all of it.  You can be forward thinking and develop new forms of
modulation and still enjoy a Sunday afternoon ride in the "Model T."

73,

Jon
NA9D