Re: Satellite Newbee thoughts

> Bob...Your crazy...I guess I should throw away all my hard work and get
> a handheld and join the masses on the fm birds
>
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 00:27:12 -0400 (EDT) Bob Bruninga
> >
> > To [operate sats] at the end of a long coax run you have to mess with
> > Rotators, preamps, power amps, low loss cable, remote controls and
> > az/el  indicators.  None of this is needed if you put the antenna
> > right at the radio which you can do when you are mobile...  And can
> > see the sky...

No, different strokes for different folks.  I used to LIVE in my shack,
now I have a family with kids and never-ever get any time in my
shack and won't for the next 10 years.  But I do get 3 hours EVERY day in
my car with nothing to do but drive and explore HAM radio.  That is my
mission, to find ways to use the satellites to support the lonely traveler
that is outside of the terrestrial HAM radio connectivity...

I love the analog birds and what you can do with an OSCAR array from your
shack.  But I also think there is lots we can do from the mobile...  And
there are lots of folks in the wilderness on Cars, hikes, canoes, bikes,
boats and snowmobiles that cannot carry an OSCAR array, but they can carry
a handheld beam and work the same satellites as those in their shacks...
from anywhere on the planet!

See next message from ALASKA I just got this morning...

de WB4APR, Bob