From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Paul Williamson
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 19:33
To: Jon Ogden
Cc: Mark L. Hammond; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] "unofficial" information

At 11:39 AM 10/8/2000 -0500, Jon Ogden wrote:
>I know that things like the shuttle
>can only sit fueled for so long before they have to do it again.

I'm no rocket scientist (!), but the Shuttle's main engine runs on cryogenic
propellants (liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen). That's a very different set
of problems. I believe this accounts for why the Shuttle can't sit fueled
for very long.

P3D's propellants are perfectly happy at room temperature or at in-orbit
inrterior temperatures, which, being designed to keep the electronics happy,
are only a little bit colder. As a tradeoff, P3D's main engine propellants
are highly toxic and will happily explode if mixed.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org