Re: P3D information

on 10/8/00 6:24 PM, Tony Langdon at tlangdon@atctraining.com.au wrote:

> To me, the sooner we go digital, the better, but analog still has mileage
> left in it.

I have NO opposition to the concept of using the RUDAK experiment to mess
with digital voice.  That's a GREAT idea for it.

My only beef with the original statement is that to just "drop" mode B would
be foolish when BOTH can live in harmony.  Additionally, P3D will be capable
of operating on 2 perhaps 3 downlinks simultaneously from what I understand
depending on power budgets.  So they guys that want to mess with digital
modes can do so as well as the analog modes.  VHF/UHF AND Microwave will all
be available together.  To shoehorn people into one mode or another isn't
good.

The difficulty with digital circuits is the knowledge and skills to build a
digital transceiver are much greater than that needed to build a simple CW
or SSB or FM transceiver.  To do digital, one must not only have a grasp of
RF circuits, but digital hardware, DSP programming, etc.  It makes
homebrewing a much more difficult task for "Joe Ham."

Anyhow, the bottom line is there is ROOM for EVERYONE.  A particular mode or
lack thereof will not be the death of ham radio.  Last time I looked ham
radio has plenty of activity on the bands and plenty of interest.  It's a
far way from dying.

73,

Jon
NA9D