Re: SUNSAT Parrot Mode CAN WORK!

Hello Bob!

07 Oct 00 17:31, you wrote to All:

 BB> -+-- ---------------------------------------------------------------
 BB> 00]  THis is W#$? NET Control. I will call all categories.  Now ABC
 BB> 20]  Very good,. CALLS ONLY.  No Phonetics.  now DEF.
 BB> 40]  Great. You should be able to do your call in 1.5 secs. Now GHI
 BB> 60]  OK, this cucle will repeat in 3 minutes. Now JKL.
 BB> 80]  OK, With a net control and 1.5 secs each, we can do 18 per min.
 BB> MNO 100] ... 160] OK, after YZ and ALPHA will be packet so get ready.
 BB> YZ and A 160] OK, now anyone with 1200 baud Packet 180] OK, this cycle
 BB> will now repeat.  Lets hear from BCD 200] Great, If you get in, then
 BB> please SKIP YOUR next cycle.  Now EFG... etc
 BB>      Notice how the alphabet groupings slip so you dont compete with
 BB> the
 BB>      same folks each time.
 BB>
 BB> To determine who gets to be the ALIGATOR, he VOLUNTEERS here on the
 BB> AMSAT-BB.  If more than one, then they fight it out off line.  They
 BB> come up with ONE station in the NORTH and one in the SOUTH to hand it
 BB> to...

Bob, this is an excellent idea, and one that crossed my mind last week, though
for different reasons, which I will touch on.

One of the biggest problems for parrot mode down here is the number of people
who haven't quite worked out how it all works, and would be able to make real
contacts, if someone could direct the traffic for them.

The net control would have to perform a couple of functions:

1.  Traffic division - Splitting the masses up into callsign groupings,
regional divisions or station classes (HT/mobile/kW&beam, etc), so there's less
competition per cycle.

2.  Net Control - ensure everyone conforms to the required protocol, which is
really dictated by the cycles of the bird itself.  Net control would also
involve a bit of Elmering to new satellite ops. :-)

Also, I feel it would be of advantage is the net control had (by virtue of
being in a valley, high gain antennas, isolation) direct coverage to as few
stations as possible.  Being within simplex range confuses some operators
unfamiliar with simplex repeaters.

 BB> This is a WIN-WIN way to do it.  We learned 70 years ago that the only
 BB> way to have communications in a busy freq is by DIRECTED NET.  Lets do
 BB> it now. We HAVE the Aligators. Lets see how good they are...
 BB>
 BB> With this procedure, Everyone will get 3 chances at least.  And in a
 BB> 12 minute pass, we can get 216 people through!  And everyone
 BB> MONITORING the process and doing DEMOS will REALLY show how HAM radio
 BB> can WORK with TRAINED operators...
 BB>
 BB> The next night try something different like.  Call by STATES.  Or by
 BB> numeric area, or by CLASS STATION, whatever...  Or by CITY...
 BB>
 BB> I thought I posted this 2 hours ago, but never saw it reflected so
 BB> this is the second (and more refined) version...

It is a way to make it work for everyone, and certainly better than chaos. :)

Tony, VK3JED

.. All generalizations are false.