Re: 1200baud pacsat uses

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Alan K. Adamson wrote:

> Some of the PacSats run in 1200baud mode all the time right?
> AO-16?, LO-19?, IO-26?... [All are]  usable with UI framed APRS packets,
> right?  Ok, the problem with most peoples setup is they can't do the FM up /
> SSB down but they could use the Internet if there were a couple of gateways.

Yes, EXACTLY.  These birds have all ben enabled for APRS or any UI
digipeating for several years and I have talked about this till I am
hoarse, and we had several people ready to be gateways, but NOONE got
interested.  The most we ever got on was one SPECIL event night, we got 13
people.  All the rest of the time it was 1 or 2.  Yet the BIRDS are there,
EVERY day, and NO ONE is using them yet ANYONE with a SOUND CARD PC can
transmit to them.... Or anyone with a $3 mod to any TAPR-2 CLONE TNC can
transmit to them.  And ANY AMSAT equiped station can be the downlink
IGate...

But after 3 years... it just still never got anyone interestted.  So the
Igates wandered away..

> If this makes sense, I'd be willing to setup some tests on these birds.  I
> can act as an IGate and it would allow two stations within the same
> footprint to Igate APRS through the birds.

The details are all on http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

Follow the links talking about "1200 baud PSK ASTARS"...

> I know, I know, you could do the same thing with the inet.  But the other
> option would be digital QSO's with messaging through the sats.  Kind of a
> long wire connecting you to a sat station.  If everyone were running UI-View
> it would even work better as the message handling in UI-View is better than
> the mechanism in DOS APRS, but either would work.
>
> This is just a random thought pattern right now and there might be issues
> that I don't understand or know, but I figured I'd see what kind of interest
> it had.  Again, just one sat station does no good, it would have to take at
> least two and within the same footprint.
>
> Interestingly, it might be a fun use for the older PacSats that are just
> orbiting with little or no traffic on them.  SSB down could be a little bit
> of a challenge, but I've copied this birds before with little problem.
>
> Thoughts?
> Alan

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html