Re: P3D information

Hello Stacey!

06 Oct 00 14:44, you wrote to Jon Ogden:

 SD> I personally think omni's are not a very viable consideration for
 SD> P3D.... that's not to say that you need an az/el rotator and an
 SD> elaborate, expensive computer controlled setup.  Far from it.  The

I agree.  I've already moved away from omnis for portable work.

 SD> satellite is going to "hang" at one place in the sky for a long
 SD> time.... a tripod in you back yard  with simple directional antennas
 SD> and an "armstrong" rotator will work extremely well for hours at a
 SD> time.  There are plenty of designs around for simple yagi's, helical
 SD> antenna's etc. that can be built cheaply and will blow the socks off
 SD> of any omni ever designed... it's just simple physics.

That's exactly what I plan to operate!  I already have a stand I can use for 2m
and 70cm

 SD> The other great thrill with P3D is going to be experimenting with the
 SD> microwave capabilities.... 50 watts on 2.4 GHz, and the same on
 SD> X-band !! Wow!!    Get (or build) yourself a small directional antenna
 SD> or dish, a downconverter... and let the fun begin.

Indeed!  This should be fun, and the antennas will again be suitable for
portable work, especially on 1.2 and 2.4!  10 GHz might get tricky with narrow
beamwidths though... :-)

Tony, VK3JED

.. of "I am Satan".