Re: P3D information

   Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:31:41 -0500
   From: Jon Ogden <na9d@mindspring.com>

   I've always stated that at Apogee, you'll need more than a portable station.
   You are correct that during a perigee pass, you'll be able to use a smaller
   setup.  Guys do this with AO-10 all the time.  However, perigee passes won't
   be happening every day like they do with LEOs.

   on 10/6/00 11:24 AM, K5OE@aol.com at K5OE@aol.com wrote:

   > Come on guys!  You make it sound like only an AO-10-class station will be able
   > to access the bird.  The satellite isn't always at apogee.  It's perigee
   > passes will be at least as long as a typical LEO's duration and the link
   > margin predictions easily indicate omni antennas at home or a mobile rig with
   > an Arrow Antenna would work FB.  Remember, its "the satellite for everyone."
   > 73,
   > Jerry, K5OE

And it depends on your definition of portable, too:

A pair of extended higher gain arrow-type antennas , a photo tripod,
small computer, IC706 (and perhaps a second receiver, FT817 or
PCR-1000 come to mind) are portable in my definition, and would give
reasonable VU performance.  S and L antennas make things even smaller,
although require a something more in the receiver line.

Ideally, for this, someone could a homebrew computer-controlled
receiver, small and lightweight, but the previously mentioned
commercial gear would do it, at some penalty in cost and weight.

73, doug