Re: P3D information

At 11:31 AM 10/6/2000 -0500, Jon Ogden wrote:

>I've always stated that at Apogee, you'll need more than a portable station.
>You are correct that during a perigee pass, you'll be able to use a smaller
>setup.  Guys do this with AO-10 all the time.  However, perigee passes won't
>be happening every day like they do with LEOs.

Also keep in mind that when the inclination goes up to 63 degs. with an
Arg.P. that puts apogee far to the north, the perigees are going to be
southern hemisphere events....

I personally think omni's are not a very viable consideration for P3D....
that's not to say that you need an az/el rotator and an elaborate,
expensive computer controlled setup.  Far from it.  The satellite is going
to "hang" at one place in the sky for a long time.... a tripod in you back
yard  with simple directional antennas and an "armstrong" rotator will work
extremely well for hours at a time.  There are plenty of designs around for
simple yagi's, helical antenna's etc. that can be built cheaply and will
blow the socks off of any omni ever designed... it's just simple physics.

The other great thrill with P3D is going to be experimenting with the
microwave capabilities.... 50 watts on 2.4 GHz, and the same on  X-band !!
Wow!!    Get (or build) yourself a small directional antenna or dish, a
downconverter... and let the fun begin.