Re: P3D information

I've always stated that at Apogee, you'll need more than a portable station.
You are correct that during a perigee pass, you'll be able to use a smaller
setup.  Guys do this with AO-10 all the time.  However, perigee passes won't
be happening every day like they do with LEOs.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 10/6/00 11:24 AM, K5OE@aol.com at K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> Come on guys!  You make it sound like only an AO-10-class station will be able
> to access the bird.  The satellite isn't always at apogee.  It's perigee
> passes will be at least as long as a typical LEO's duration and the link
> margin predictions easily indicate omni antennas at home or a mobile rig with
> an Arrow Antenna would work FB.  Remember, its "the satellite for everyone."
> 73,
> Jerry, K5OE
>

> Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil> writes:
>
> << On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Jon Ogden wrote:
>
>> Let's be realistic about this folks.  Working P3D at 43,000 KM is far
>> different than working UO-14 at 900 KM.  BIG DIFFERENCE.
>
> Like 33 dB!  So if you do it with 5W into UO-14 you need 10,000 W to do
> it with P3D!  But P3D does have GAIN antennas where as UO-14 does not.
> But this still only makes up a fraction of the difference...
>
> Bob

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA